A historic marker at the corner of Spring and Brainard designates the site of Fort San Bernardo which is the highest point in the neighborhood. The fort was built by Don Bernardo de Galvez, Governor of Spanish Louisiana. From this fort the Spanish bombarded the English-held Fort George: April 27, 1781 and Fort George surrendered May 9, 1781. 15,000 soldiers occupied the fort. As a result of the battle all of Florida from the Apalachicola River to the Mississippi River passed from Britian to Spain.